Thursday, July 30, 2015

Ode to Almonds!

Hey Friends!
Don't you just love that title?! Grabbed your attention right??  I cannot help it- I'm nuts about nuts!
From my days of peanut butter and banana sandwiches, to Reese's peanut butter cups to peanut butter cookies, there is something euphoric about the nut butter that makes people weak in the knees.  Peanut butter makes everything- peanut butter!

However, in the past few years I have grown quite the affection to almonds. Move over peanuts!! Make way for almonds! haha Almond butter, raw almonds, almond crusted chicken, almonds in my salad. You name, I will "almond" it!



So I owe my "Ode to Almonds" to my friends over at Nuts.com for their encouragement in this post!

A- Amazing
L- Lowest calorie nut
M- Many uses
O- Oval Shaped
N- Nutrient Rich
D- Decreased risk of heart disease

Almonds are a super food, or at least I think so!  In 1 ounce they pack a mean punch with:
- 160 calories
-14g of Fat( 9 g of Monounsaturated Fat- the healthy fat)
-6 g of Carbohydrates, 3.5 g being Fiber
-6g of Protein


Being that almonds are one of the most versatile, healthy, low priced nut, it is easy to keep them in pantry.  One of my favorite ways to eat almonds is to make Almond Crusted Chicken.  Below is my recipe for this delicious, healthy, simple recipe.


Almond Crusted Chicken
3-4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1/4c Unsalted Almonds, crushed using a food processor or blender
1/4 Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs(Panko or crushed Ritz crackers work well also)
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Cajun Seasoning- optional
Pinch of Salt
1 egg white
Cooking Spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray(I use coconut oil spray).  Place egg white and chicken breasts in a medium dish with enough room to cover the kitchen.  In a shallow dish, I use an 8x8, mix crushed almonds, bread crumbs and seasonings.  One at a time, dredge chicken breast through breading mixture then place on baking sheet.  Continue until all chicken breasts are coated.  Sprinkle remaining breading mixture on chicken.  Bake for 30 minutes or until juice runs clear.  Optional- place oven on broil for 3 minutes to crisp chicken.  Be careful not to burn the chicken!
Serve with a salad, broccoli or your favorite side!


Go check out my friends over at Nuts.com! Not only do they have ALL things almond, they have coconut oil, healthy snack options, chia seeds and anything you could want to satisfy the need for nuts!

Tell me what your favorite nut is and how to eat it!


*Please note that I was asked by Nuts.com to create this post. All statements are my personal opinion and belief.   


No comments:

Post a Comment